Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:54:19 +0100

Hello people!

Hi girls and guy (there is at least one girl here right?),

It makes my hearth so warm that in this world where everything slips
apart there is some Immutable Gardens of Stability, some places where
things keep being the same again and again, like a crystal of eternity,
forever since the Ancient times. Nevertheless, that's a bit sad that
those things are (flame)WARs ! But as it only kills bits and people's
time, they are mostly harmless.

Yet for your own good, before engaging your mighty armies of arguments,
please check your sources ! ;-)

Well, now that I have given my wise words on the meaning of life, let's
express my view:
I would prefer QT to GTK because:
- It has to best documentation. I've just checked the documentation of
the latest stable release of GTK, and it is not complete.
- It has superior language. Did you ever tried to make a glib object
yourself?
- It has more (accelerated) rendering backends, such as OpenGL, GDI+,
SVG. As far as I know, GTK is still not using Cairo.
- It has more additional features in the base distribution, such as
network, threading, etc... Nevertheless, those features are optional,
QT4 is modular.
Furthermore, I can't see any drawbacks compared to GTK, the license
problem does not exist any more since QT4, as the GPL version is
available on all platforms.
Other toolkits, such as WxWindow, Tk, Lesstif, ... are not complete
enough to even be taken in consideration.

Well, you can still discuss if you wish, enjoy yourself, but I doubt the
usefulness of such discussions; anyway if it makes you happy, go on ;-)

It makes me happy to expose my sources:
Gtk+ has support for cairo since 2.8 (released August 16, 2005) [1]
GtkGLExt exists since 2003-05-14 [2]
*mm bindings are more c++ oriented than QT that is simply an other language.
Did you ever try to make a glibmm object? I did and it's exactly as doing Q_OBJECTs.
Glib has threading and network. The Gtk libraries are separated modules.
I never had problems with gtk's docs. If you could be more specific...
Didn't we had problems with QT's docs when we tried the prototype?

Well, you can still discuss if you wish, enjoy yourself, but I doubt the
usefulness of such discussions; anyway if it makes you happy, go on ;-)

That some government is doing it will not make asking for calm while feeding the flames a good tactic to estinguish them.

Martin

[1] http://www.gtk.org/plan/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54333&package_id=48997