Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:40:05 +0100

 I defended both QT and Gtk against people who seem to be so desperate
about pushing their preferred toolkit that they act like xenophobes
(tu sembles tellement acculé que tu commences à dire des conneries).
There is no shame in using something just because it does the job and
you like it. And because of that, there is no point in arguing against
or for anything else. Just use it. And if you don't, don't complain.
Because differences between the features of these toolkits are so
minor that it really boils down to a matter of taste (which of course
implies religion quarrels).

Well, you want me to be serious, here I am:
I agree that in the end it's a matter of taste. I've tested gtk, gtkmm and Qt, and, personnally, I feel better with Qt. It was faster for me to get in, and I had the impression that development was faster. Additionnally I had student able to hack a image filter that involved network, OpenGL and Jpeg decoding in two dsays without any prior knowledge of Qt. Leto, who worked on Gtk (quite a long time ago I agree), reported problem with undocumented features. But those are probably resolved since. In conclusion, perhaps I'm hardwired in some way that Qt fits me better.

And don't say I'm religious about Qt, as I'm about to hack a bit for the maemo plateform. I've even been doing win32 those days at job, whose widgets API is far worse than both Qt and Gtk (this is just a test to see if Seb is reading this mail ;-)).

That some government is doing it will not make asking for calm while feeding

> the flames a good tactic to estinguish them.

Sure, but my post was supposed to be funny, Sarco is not. Or would you,
for fun, argue that Sarco has a very sophisticated (very) dark sense of
humor?

 Sorry, I'm not used to you doing 2nd degree humor.

You know, I'm getting older and all those things ;-)

Steph

P.S. You know, you are very meta-polemic in your intention to be a-polemic ;-)