Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:42:53 +0100

Hi again,

It makes me happy to expose my sources:
Gtk+ has support for cairo since 2.8 (released August 16, 2005) [1]
GtkGLExt exists since 2003-05-14 [2]

Well, I went to www.gtk.org, then clicked on the Documentation/API Reference page. I admit that I haven't spent hours on this page, but at first sight it looked that latest stable release was GTK+ 2.6.2. I agree that on second reading it's clear that's not the case.

*mm bindings are more c++ oriented than QT that is simply an other language.
Did you ever try to make a glibmm object? I did and it's exactly as doing
Q_OBJECTs.

No but I tried to make a glib one, for mm* I believe you.

Glib has threading and network. The Gtk libraries are separated modules.
I never had problems with gtk's docs. If you could be more specific...
Didn't we had problems with QT's docs when we tried the prototype?

I gave gtk a new look to the correct version of the doc, and it indeed seems getting better. Latest stable Documentation (which is for gtk 2.9.0, itself a development release, but I'll drop this point ;-)) seems to be more complete.

Now on gtkmm: I've coded an application using gtkmm around one year ago. I've had problems with libsignal++ related things. In addition of that, I had the occasion to see the lack of quality documentation in Gtkmm (of course I don't pretend it's not getting better and better):
For instance:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGtk_1_1Paned.html
has add1 and add2 methods

http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGtk_1_1Table.html
has non documented constructor

Oh yes, and do I have to highlight that the Documentation link on http://www.gtkmm.org/ points to gtkmm 2.4 when latest stable release is 2.8?

That some government is doing it will not make asking for calm while feeding
the flames a good tactic to estinguish them.

Sure, but my post was supposed to be funny, Sarco is not. Or would you, for fun, argue that Sarco has a very sophisticated (very) dark sense of humor?