Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Are you inspired by Paris ?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:58:06 +0100

> Hi again,
>
> > It makes me happy to expose my sources:
> > Gtk+ has support for cairo since  2.8 (released August 16, 2005) [1]
> > GtkGLExt exists since 2003-05-14 [2]
>
> Well, I went to www.gtk.org, then clicked on the Documentation/API
> Reference page. I admit that I haven't spent hours on this page, but at
> first sight it looked that latest stable release was GTK+ 2.6.2. I agree
> that on second reading it's clear that's not the case.
>
> > *mm bindings are more c++ oriented than QT that is simply an other language.
> > Did you ever try to make a glibmm object? I did and it's exactly as doing
> > Q_OBJECTs.
>
> No but I tried to make a glib one, for mm* I believe you.
>
> > Glib has threading and network. The Gtk libraries are separated modules.
> > I never had problems with gtk's docs. If you could be more specific...
> > Didn't we had problems with QT's docs when we tried the prototype?
>
> I gave gtk a new look to the correct version of the doc, and it indeed
> seems getting better. Latest stable Documentation (which is for gtk
> 2.9.0, itself a development release, but I'll drop this point ;-)) seems
> to be more complete.
>
> Now on gtkmm: I've coded an application using gtkmm around one year ago.
> I've had problems with libsignal++ related things. In addition of that,
> I had the occasion to see the lack of quality documentation in Gtkmm (of
> course I don't pretend it's not getting better and better):
> For instance:
> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGtk_1_1Paned.html
> has add1 and add2 methods
>

> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGtk_1_1Table.html
> has non documented constructor

 If you read the class description, it becomes pretty obvious what
these undocumented members do. Documenting a library is not about
documenting what each and every thing does, but how to use it. Did you
check QT too? On http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/qextensionmanager.html,
the abstract states "The QExtensionManager class provides extension
management facilities for Qt Designer." The detailed description
states "The QExtensionManager class provides extension management
facilities for Qt Designer."

 This is getting ridiculous. Why can't people believe that when they
see something cool in what they like, it can be found in something
else, or that when they see a defect, what they like can have it. It
gets even worse when they just look at the other stuff with the sole
goal to find defects inside, or when they use useless features as
arguments (although I have to agree that Glob2 badly needs an SVG
backend). Of course you can find defects wherever you want if you only
look for them.

 I defended both QT and Gtk against people who seem to be so desperate
about pushing their preferred toolkit that they act like xenophobes
(tu sembles tellement acculé que tu commences à dire des conneries).
There is no shame in using something just because it does the job and
you like it. And because of that, there is no point in arguing against
or for anything else. Just use it. And if you don't, don't complain.
Because differences between the features of these toolkits are so
minor that it really boils down to a matter of taste (which of course
implies religion quarrels).

 Person who say it should not be done like this should not interrupt
person doing it.         --Chinese Proverb

> > That some government is doing it will not make asking for calm while feeding
>  > the flames a good tactic to estinguish them.
>
> Sure, but my post was supposed to be funny, Sarco is not. Or would you,
> for fun, argue that Sarco has a very sophisticated (very) dark sense of
> humor?

 Sorry, I'm not used to you doing 2nd degree humor.

 Martin