Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 0.8.16 has been release

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 0.8.16 has been release
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:50:25 +0100

>       I have been able to compile and run it on Mac OS X, now I am working
> to make an app statically linked for distribution.
>
>       I ran the ./configure with --enable-static, but when i make I have
> this error :
>
> Making all in src
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libSDL_image.a', needed
> by `glob2'.  Stop.
>

>       I check the mpakefile and I found that :
>
> SDL_CFLAGS = -I/sw/include/SDL -D_THREAD_SAFE
> SDL_CONFIG = /sw/bin/sdl-config
> SDL_LIBS = -L/sw/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL
> -lSDL_image -lSDL_net
>

>       SDL_image is installed via fink in /sw/lib, so it seems to me that it
> should be able to found it, especially when he found it when
> dynamically linking. Is there a reason why it's working differently and
> does anyone have an idea of a way to solve this issue ?

Bug found. Have a look at src/Makefile.am and you'll see why -enable-static
try to link /usr/lib stuff. So there is definitively a bug there: the
-enable-static only works on Linux. So either you add a -enable-static-osx
with your own libs, which is not clean but will work, or we try to fix this
-enable-static.

Who added this -enable-static and why is it this way? A long time ago I had a
small .sh script that made the static build, I didn't put it into the
configure because it was hacky and system dependant. I've the feeling someone
thought it was good and added it to the configure build system.