[glob2-devel] VoIP with Mac OS X (was re Glob2 0.8.16 has been release)

From: A little wood elfe
Subject: [glob2-devel] VoIP with Mac OS X (was re Glob2 0.8.16 has been release)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:35:56 +0100

Le 10 déc. 05, à 23:27, address@hidden a écrit :

Hi,

I'd forgotten to chase Stephane up about this, sorry.  Stephane, will
you be about tomorrow to finalise 0.8.17?

I'll try to be there around 11 Swiss time.

        am or pm ? I am afraid that I miss you if it is am.

That's great - but I'm afraid Stephane I'm not an expert on this either.
Stephane, where would we look to hook OS-specific sound handling into
the game?

src/VoiceRecorder.cpp

Thanks, i have made some research yesterday. Having the Voice Over IP working with speex on mac is definetely possible, there is a closed source software who use it : TeamSpeex (http://www.savvy.nl/blog/). Well closed source doesn't help me a lot so I check open source software who have input audio, there is the well know Audacity software (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I dig a little into their source and I found in the file AudioIO.cpp that they use the PortAudio library (http://www.portaudio.com) a cross platform, open-source, audio I/O library. The code is quite clean but mixed with a lot of their stuff and looks complexe to me (remember I am not a C++ programmer, usually I code in obj-c for hobby and cobol or java for job). I dig too in Apple documentation of their CoreAudio APIs, not a very usefull doc as far as I can say, but well I have some example of code which might be used. Another possibility is to use the MTCoreAudio framework (non usual licence but looks compatible with GPL), well it's an obj-c framework so maybe it's not possible or wanted to incorpore it but it encapsulate one of the CoreAudio API (C++ here mainly) and can be used as a good source of inspiration.

That's where I am, another thing to keep in ming is that I don't have access to Apple last OS version (10.4 say Tiger) only to 10.3 and 10.2. So I can't guarantee anything on Tiger compatibility.

Am I the only one Mac user here ? 'Cause if someone else knowing to code in C++ want to do the job it would far more better.

@+
Benoit