Re: [glob2-devel] boost

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] boost
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:22:08 -0800

Ahh, so glob2 already depends on boost? Thats a good thing, thanks,
saves me allot of work and debugging. Boost does not heavily depend on
templates, but being c++ libraries, most of them use templates somehow
to improve the interface to the library. Compile slower, maybe, it
depends on how many different instiantations of the templates we need,
and how many of the template based libraries we use. Remember that
libraries that don't use templates in their interface won't compile
any slower, because the template compilations in their implementations
will already be compiled into the library. And as well, many of boosts
templates are very simple, and depend on non-templated implementations
of the functions to do the *real* work, so the amount of code actually
done in the template is quite low.

I really want to promote the usage of Boost in this project, there are
so many places where a Boost library would be usefull. Personally, I
want Boost.Rational, and Boost.Array. Boost.Integer and Boost.Random
would be very usefull to the project, as would Boost.Filesystem,
Boost.Crc, Boost.Program_options, Boost.Spirit, Boost.Format (for you
printf programmers), and maybe even Boost.Regex. I've seen many places
in the code where using a Boost alternative probably would have saved
lots of debugging and coding time.