Re: [glob2-devel] boost

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] boost
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:10:47 +0000

Post-1.0, I'd like to see a lot of Boost in the codebase.  What we lose
in compile time, we gain back in time spent writing, debugging,
documenting and maintaining code.  It's also much easier for newcomers
to get into the project if they don't have to learn a whole load of new
ideas that are specific to our project.

I've used the Filesystem code heavily in the map rewrite, and I might
well have used the Serialisation package if I'd discovered it in time.
As Bradley predicted, it allowed me to produce code with less bugs,
faster.

Speaking of producing code with less bugs faster, am I the only person
that hadn't heard of the _GLIBCXX_CONCEPT_CHECKS, _GLIBCXX_DEBUG and
_GLIBCXX_DEBUG_PEDANTIC macros before?  They're GCC-specific, but they'd
be turned off in production use, and are incredibly useful for tracking
down subtle code mistakes early.

        - Andrew