Re: [glob2-devel] Hello, I'm back, and lots of comments....

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hello, I'm back, and lots of comments....
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 04:03:56 +0200

>> Well when you start a project this is a good thing.  But for an
>> existing project - not.
>

> Again, thats the kind of thinking that keeps Glob2 behind.  Why is
> it not a good thing for existing projects?

OK, I'll explain:
When you start a new project it is less effort to go to some place that
gives you all what you need to survive, than to ask a lot of sites for
different parts that you need.
In an existing project you don't need to care about get all the different
parts like mailing lists, bug tracker, homepage, central repository,
because someone has already done this.  So no disadvantage.

> The point is to use a system which let's you merge branches well.
>

> Which SVN does well.

No, it does not.
SVN was designed to be as much as cvs as possible.
It wasn't designed to be a good version management software.
And surprise: it isn't.
It can't even track the history of its own merges.
When you merge a branch twice you'll get a mess.

There is a good reason that there are a lot of distributed
scms out there, but only two big centralized scms: svn and cvs.
The cvs scheme is really bad.  And the svn decision to continue
most of it is as bad as well.