Re: [glob2-devel] Version 3 of GPL license issued yesterday

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Version 3 of GPL license issued yesterday
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:32:13 +0200

On 7/5/07, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday 05 July 2007 11.25:00 Kieran P wrote:
> >you also need nuage and me and Rama and all the authors of the gfx.
>
> Thats just silly! Then there is 100's of people you need to get permission
> from.

Yes.

> What if someone died?

Copyright is inherited. You track their heirs and ask for permission.

> Copyright exists up to 50 years in most
> countries after someones death.

Exact, per the terms of the Bern convention. The one that make GPL worth more
than the electrons used to compose it.

> Does that mean you can never upgrade (cause
> in the 50 years after one persons death, someone else would have died :P )?

Correct.

> I say stick with the 3 month time period. If we have complaints in the
> future, then we can discuss.

You know, if you care about upgrading, you should also care about the law...

I agree. We can't say that anybody who has not done changes in the
last 3 months has no saying on the licensing of his contributions.

Let's not forget about non-trivial work commited by one of us, but
done by other people (translations, graphics). I guess the AUTHORS
file is complete in this regard.

Martin

PS: I hereby agree to relicense my contributions to glob2 under the
gplv3 license.