Re: [glob2-devel] Introduce myself

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Introduce myself
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:25:41 +0200

| global goal: Chinese working in glob2
|        => requires: CJK enabled TTF font
| planner output: add CJK support to our TTF font
|
| In summary: I would like someone to integrate a free CJK ttf font into our
| current font.

I am not sure that this will be enough. Unicode encodes characters,
not glyphs. Some Asian characters have different glyphs for the same
unicode character, depending on the locale. See the unicode FAQ:
http://unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html#3

In short, integrating a Chinese font, will yield incorrect rendering
of Japanese text and vice versa. Japanese must be displayed with a
different font than Chinese.

I don't know how other SDL_ttf-based programs handle this, but it
should be worth looking at.

Martin