Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:57:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Markus Plail wrote:

> > This is absolutly wrong. Smsd uses gnokii's API and it is independend
> > from phone. If something works with older phone and don't with newer
> > phone there is problem in API.
>
> The problem is that with newer phones there are different memory types,
> that's the reason why it does not work. smsd code is mainly ripped from
> xgnokii, so there must be similiar changes in in order to make it work.
> The whole getting SMS routines have to be changed. In xgnokii I made
> them totally separate, as they are very different. Up to now you just
> read locations in SM until you get GE_INVALIDLOCATION. This only works
> with older phones. For newer phones you have to think about which
> messages to get. You have to get the folder status (6510) plus SMS
> status for (6210) as it doesn't recognize unread SMS otherwise.

But this is wrong. On client level is for me unimportant which phone is
connected to smsd. Lowlevel function must detect phone and configure all
depend stuff. We need uniform access to all phones to access common
capabilites. And special arguments to access special capabilities for every
phone.

And other thing. All function names exported from gnokii's API must be
prefixed to avoid collision with other application. For example in smsd was
from begining function with name SendSMS. One day somebody decided to add
function with the same name to gnokii's API. And this introduced collision
in smsd.
When I was developing xgnokii all exported function was prefixed with GUI_
and the rest of functions was hidden.
Gtk uses prefix gtk_.
Glib used g_. Motif, Athena and other all use prefix.

> Sorry, for that then. Perhaps I misunderstood Pawel ion IRC. IIRC he
> said that it is mostly unmaintained, but I may as well be wrong.

Maybe Pawel forgot that reason why I cannot test smsd was that sms support
don't work in gnokii for long time. And when Pawel say that sms work and I
begin to adapt smsd I discover that sms still don't work.

                                jano

--
Once there came a storm in the form of a girl
It blew to pieces my snug little world