Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:31:43 +0200

Hi,

> > And both dbus and dcop seem to have also a command line interface. And
> > it looks cool to me.
> >
> > Any other suggestions for the interface?
> >
> > I already have the gnokii related core, now sitting on the dcop side
> > trying to prepare something that would receive and send messages. Hope
> > to send sms soon ;-)
>
> Can you post some example code?

The code sucks. But it already works somehow. It can do setup (read
the configuration), intialize the connection, disconnect and run ping
(implemented as getting imei). You can run all these commands with
dcop (eg. run kdcop and try each function; to estabilish the
connection, assuming you have correct .gnokiirc, run setup()). It is
not multithreaded (I think it should be, at least for keep aliving
purposes).

Anyway I don't like the way I did it, but I have no idea how to use
DCOP in any other way. How I think it should look like:
 - first of all we have interface to all gnokii functions as the
interface to libgnokii - I don't want this to be binded to KDE, GNOME,
qt, glib, whatever -- let it be the most portable thing.
 - each communication plugin, after the registration, wraps all the
interface above and calls the right function doing the necessary
conversion if needed

Can anybody with more DCOP/Qt experience lead me in the right
direction? At the moment i think pligin class should not inherit from
the gnokii class and that was the wrong choice. Just two communication
plugin should call methods from gnokii object. And we can (I think)
create many gnokii objects for different phone connections.

The code is at http://tfuj.pl/gnokiicommd.tar.gz but I think I will
change it a couple of times this night.

take care,
pkot