Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:26:05 +0200

Hi Pavel,

On 6/10/05, Pavel Machek <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I believe you should not do "communication plugins".
> >
> > I don't think it is that easy. DCOP is qt-based. DBUS seems to be the
> > future standard, but I don't think it's already in place on all
> > platforms (Mac, win32, embedded). I don't want to introduce a new
> > communication protocol and I want to leave the possibility for
> > extending it.
>
> Well, I guess right solution is then either "just use DCOP", or decide
> that DBUS is right thing to do, just use it, and let people that care
> port DBUS to mac, win32 or embedded (if they care).

Why not add more flexibility to the daemon?

> Of course I like the DCOP thing because it works on Linux desktop and
> also should work on PDAs :-).

So a technical question regarding DCOP. I fail to see how do I
asynchronously publish an event that anyone would subscribe to it. I
mean something like gnoki daemon gets an information from the phone
"new SMS arrived" and sends a message/broadcast saying this. There may
be no application that would get this message, there may be a system
tray thingy that would show an envelope after receiving this, or more
applications doing simirilar or other things. Is it possible to do
with DCOP interface?

take care,
pkot
--