Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] SCO vs. the world

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] SCO vs. the world
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 03:05:09 -0400

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:36:44PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> Well, nope, actually --- given their stock price.
> I wouldn't be too woried about them going out of business.  They own some
> interesing "IP" rights.  Either those rights are valueless, or valuable.
> If at all valuable, they have a lot more leverage than a balance sheet
> might show.

Maybe that's true, but SCO's recent actions don't suggest that _they_ have
much confidence in that: everytime their stock price drops (and it has
recently) they make a sensational and largely content-free press-release, in
a manner that make it look like they're trying hard to maintain SCO's _short
term_ stock price.  [Thus the calls on slashdot for the SEC to poke their
nose in...]

> > The mafia make money too.  Doesn't mean they have a good case justifying
> > their acts.
>
> One could say the same about RHAT, without about equal force.

Now you're just being cranky. [presuming you meant `with']

BTW, I'll note that I find Linus's attitude about copyright rather scary*,
and on balance much prefer the FSF's approach.

* Though obviously very convenient in the short term.  I work for a large
  japanese manufacturer, writing free software, and trying to get copyright
  assignments or disclaimers out of them is like pulling my own teeth...
  Everybody's scared to do anything, and the lawyers just say `no' to all
  that passes their desk; even with someone to champion my cause, it's a long
  slow process (and recently the company organization keeps changing so in
  some cases I've had to start over from scratch several times).

-Miles
--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'