Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert upd

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert update
Date: 19 Aug 2003 07:56:37 -0700

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 03:05, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:59:17AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>
> > Not everyone uses mutt.  Pine, elm, Eudora, even Outlook Express are
> > common mail clients, and none of them have a concept of "group reply".
>
> that is complete and utter bullshit.  EVERY SINGLE ONE of those listed
> mailers supports group reply.
>
> stop lying to try and get your way.

I'm guessing he thought "group reply" was different from "reply all"
which all of these have.  I thought so when I read the message, too.

Here's my humble contribution to this:

"User expectations" aside for the moment:  I think the default action
for this mailing list ought to be "reply to list, but not to original
sender."  Discussion should be on-list by default.  Agree?

With the current setup, if I do "reply" I get the original sender's
email.  Not what I want.

If I do "reply all" I get the list AND the original sender's email.
That's not what I want, either.

I have to do "reply all" and then go and cut out the sender's email.
That's frustrating and annoying.

On top of all that, I just screwed up several times in a row this
morning because I'm accustomed to the other behavior - which is, in
fact, what I want.

So, apparently this is some kind of point-of-honor for email geeks so I
don't expect much sympathy with my joe-everybody desire to have the
default be easy and automatic.  But, whatever.  I like the "munging."
It works for me.

Bob