Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the dangers of no reply-to munging

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the dangers of no reply-to munging
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:24:15 +0100

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:18:00AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> The only way other way that an end user can make sure that replies can
> be sent back to him is by setting the Reply-To: header. Now if the
> mailinglist throws away this information and happens to use it for it's
> own purposes it is impossible to send a private reply. In other words
> simply discarding the information provided by Reply-To is very much
> harmful.
>
> Does that make _any_ sense?

Amusingly enough, this is the primary reason why I _don't_ use my ISPs
mail relays - which require the From address be one of their crappy
pop3 mailboxes - but instead send the mail directly, from my dynamic
address, and forge the Sender/From fields. It really would be
impossible to send a private reply on lists which munge Reply-To
otherwise.

I can't realistically change ISP, either. Aren't government-supported
telecomms monopolies fun?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |