Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert upd

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: the dangers of no reply-to munging; Xouvert update
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:42:28 +0900

>>>>> "markj" == markj  <address@hidden> writes:

    markj> No, MFT is a non-standard brain-damaged header.  Ideally
    markj> the mail client should notice the List-* headers and offer
    markj> an appropriate action.

They're mostly not present, OK?

While I agree that the Mail-* headers are non-standard (dunno about
brain-damaged, haven't thought about it, although I know that
Mail-Copies-To has screwed me, and the sender, frequently), they do
attempt to address a real problem.

The problem is that most sender boxen are capable of sending directly,
and do.  This arrives seconds later.  Most listserv boxen have heavy
loads, and send in minutes (gnu.org takes hours or days, it seems).
If you remove or suppress dupes, the List-* headers won't be present
on the first copy.

It's not clear to me that the right way to solve this is to fix the
MDA/MUA to be more sophisticated about treatment of (Message-ID) dupes.