Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dyn

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:23:51 -0700 (PDT)

Just when I say "ignore Linux" :-)

    > From: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden>
    > (via) From: Momchil Velikov <address@hidden>

    > There's two things about bitkeeper: (a) it does get the distribution
    > right, and (b) is is actually very polished.

    > I think you get (a), but (b) includes things like the patch import system
    > that has an automatic "renametool",

Yup.   I'm surprised that a "changeset-utils" package hasn't yet
struck anyone with time to work on it as a good project to start.

    > And of course, the sanity checking has actually found problems at times.
    > It ends up beign the slowest part of most BK operations (doing a full
    > checksum verification), but it's made BK bugs (they've happened a few
    > times) be noticed immediately rather than corrupt the tree, and it has
    > also several times found dodgy hardware or some kernel bugs.

That can fit right in, easily enough, especially as the
inode-signature optimization improves.

We also ought to get serious about discussing cryptographic signatures
at some point.