Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: 08 Oct 2003 08:11:20 -0700

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:31, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     >> I don't think that the explicit option should go away.
>
>     Robert> When did I suggest it should? I use it quite heavily
>     Robert> myself.
>
> You didn't.  The other Robert did.
>
> Doesn't anybody ever read whole threads any more?  I no longer expect
> that of rwa, but I'm disappointed in you.

On the off-chance that someone might take you at your word after your
refusal to support your claim which formed the basis for an insult, I'll
do your work for you.  This is what I did say:

-- quote --
This is a legitimate question: Has tagline mode obsoleted either
explicit and/or implicit modes?

I think the answer is "no", but the contexts in which explicit and
implicit are the right choice have become pretty darn narrow.

explicit _enforces_ that no internal ids be used, and that no name-based
ids be used.

implicit _enforces_ that no name-based ids be used.

So only when it is a priority to explicitly disallow those things for a
tree's lifetime should those modes be used.  Only a _more_ experienced
arch user would know when they want to rule certain kinds of
functionality out, so as a rule-of-thumb you'd typically want to use the
mode which provides the most options: tagline.
-- end quote --

As for who should expect what from whom, I'll leave that up to the
reader.

Bob