Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:46:30 +0900

    Robert> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:09, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> Definitely not that.  Mixed mode operation (some files
    >> explicitly tagged, others containing taglines) is probably a
    >> bad idea.

    Robert> Huh? Thats precisely what 'tagline' as the tagging method
    Robert> provides.

Sure.  And that works fine as long as everybody knows what they're
doing, especially if #{everybody} is 1.

But as long as we're worrying about the impressions that names leave,
"mixed mode" leaves me with the impression that which mode is used for
any given file is up to the developer, not the project.  Or even that
mixed modes can be used for a single file.  Sorry, I should have
worded it that way in the first place.

    Robert> (And its necessary to have explicit tags in some
    Robert> cases: binary files with no provision for text hunks;
    Robert> Makefile.in's generated from Makefile.am's...  )

Sure.  Necessity guarantees everybody's on the same page.