[Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:13:51 -0500

>>>>> "Zack" == Zack Brown <address@hidden> writes:
Zack>
Zack> It's just strange because people have been advocating 'taglines' as
Zack> if there is no justification to use anything else. If that were the
Zack> case, why would arch support any alternatives?

You know, that's a good point.  Maybe we should just remove the
explicit-tags-only option. (That may not be the point that you wanted to
make.)

Zack>
Zack> I think one of the main reasons people are so vehement about it, is
Zack> because the 'tagline' method can be confusing until the big payoff is
Zack> discovered (regular filesystem commands 'just work' etc). So there's
Zack> always that sense that if someone doesn't like tagline, it might be
Zack> just because they didn't understand it.

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes.  A wise man learns from the
mistakes of others."

Zack> But there's no reason not to use 'explicit' for the Linux kernel. The
Zack> 'tagline' method is one of arch's big features, and it's very cool
Zack> and powerful, and there is *probably* a way to get it configured
Zack> properly for almost any situation; but it's not necessary at all.

No, there's no reason not to use "tagline" for the Linux kernel.  It gives
you all the functionality of "explicit" while allowing you to move to
taglines in the future.

Zack> I think if you or others start using arch for the kernel, there might
Zack> one day be a movement to migrate from 'explicit' to 'taglines', and
Zack> then that will be difficult. But I'm sure a way will be found when
Zack> the time comes.

Yes, heaven forbid that we would the use the solution that's in place
already.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above