Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:59:11 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:54:26PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > No idea what you mean by `is ssh supported'; sftp is supported.
>
> Its an other protocoll; ssh is port 22, ftp is port 21/115.

No, not `ftp', `sftp'; they're completely different things.  sftp is a
file-transfer protocol that uses uses ssh as a transport, and has basically
nothing in common with `ftp' except a similar name.

> ssh uses public key authentication, ssh is already forwarded in the
> firewall, ssh does not need the other side to make a connection to me if I
> connect to them (making going through firewalls a major headace).

Yes, sftp has those things too, since it's layered on top of ssh.

> Its different; and ssh is more standard then sftp ever was.

Are you sure about that?  As far I know, sftp support is a standard part of
the ssh distribution (I mean `openssh' here).  It apparently doesn't work
well with ssh protocol version 1 though, so you probably (?) have to have ssh
protocol version 2 enabled.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'