Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:42:45 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:02:22PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > It seems that the best way to think about is just `how would I maintain
> > this tree if users were directly writing to it in the filesystem?' (since
> > that's in effect what tla does).
>
> My problem is that an branch always has to be created by root if you want to
> copy the restrictions as well. Which is something you want to do when you
> (for example) create a stable branch next to a feature-full branch, and
> both branches have to be used by all users.

I don't understand what you mean at all.  If you use groups to control
permissions (which is what I'm suggesting), then any user may create a new
branch with any groupid he's a member of (as long as he has permission --
again based on what groups he's a member of -- to create _anything_ in the
higher-level directory).  To do so would require some tool other than tla to
be used, but not root access (the user who wants to create the branch could
either login locally to the machine, or even probably just use the normal
sftp program to do it).

> This is because other-peoples files I copy will be mine afterwards; and file
> protections will be useless then (escpecially if I am not in a group that
> certain files belong to, which make me loose the group info as well).

Why do you need to copy other people's files?  [arch stores _new_ files for
every transaction, it doesn't modify-and-rewrite things]

> ps: is ssh as a remote-protocol supported (like the fish:/ protocol in KDE)?

No idea what you mean by `is ssh supported'; sftp is supported.

-miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin