Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extension language
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:29:43 -0700

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:15:58PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 22:58, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> > No doubt this will be as happily received as a fart in a crowded elevator,
> > but why not?
> >
> > http://ficl.sourceforge.net/
>
> I think you're missing my point.  The best way is for tla/libarch to be
> flexible enough to allow for many languages to easily wrap it.
>
> If someone decides to write a FICL wrapper, then good.  But no language,
> be it FICL, Python, Perl, Tom's language, or anything else should enjoy
> some sort of privileged status.

As nice as it sounds, it is a bad idea.  You'll end up with the same
problem that vim has.  Vim can use Python, Perl, Ruby and possibly
others.   Since there is no standard language to extend it in,
extensions don't get used very often.  It is much better to pick a
language, and integrate it well.

Dave