Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:15:56 -0800

On Dec 15, 2003, at 8:47, Tom Lord wrote:

1) What's with all the aliases?

   They serve two purposes:

   a) A way to rename commands in successive releases without abrupt
      transitions.

      We don't currently use the deprecated command flag this way, but
      we certainly could: when a command is invoked by a deprecated
      name, print a warning on stderr that the name will be going away
      in a future release.

I agree that this is obnoxious, but I think it's also necessary. If something's going away, people should know about it.

   b) A way to provide shared short-names and "alternative perspective"
      names.

  (Neither of those purposes would be well served by an extended
  command mechanism.)

This one I don't particularly agree with as it really just sounds like user preferences being applied globally. Part of the problem is that it doesn't currently cover a great deal of options. CVS, for example, has two aliases each for ``checkout,'' ``commit,'' and ``update.'' If we're going for short names, then it also might make sense to include CVS-compatible short names (co/ci/up) which would also help ease transition.

``alternate perspective,'' really seems like a third thing. To me, it seems like something that might, at some point, do something different. It implies that one is thinking more of a high-level solution to a problem than a low-level typing efficiency thing.

2) How about the "extended command" thing?

  For another thing, the "fork/exec approach to extensions" doesn't
  provide much help to extension writers.   Providing such help seems
  to me to be the bigger problem that needs solving than the problem
  of "how do I turn `tla <unrecognized-command>' into a call to an
  extension?

I'm greatly looking forward to being able to write extensions in scheme, but there is something to be said for an ``anemic'' solution that is already written.

I also get the point that it's possible to replace tla in my path with a shell script that emulates the alias functionality.

        Anyway, thanks.  Views are exchanged.  I'm getting back to work now.

--
Dustin Sallings