Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:05:52 -0800

On Dec 13, 2003, at 16:01, Miles Bader wrote:

I think most of them are perfectly reasonable too; if someone [Dustin]
doesn't like them, they should argue about _each individually_, and show
that they are not.

My argument is that the concept of providing two names for the same command is a little silly, especially given that people are able to provide their own names for every command.

It's not the names of the command that are at issue, it's the fact that there is more than one for any given command.

I don't like systems that are customized for someone else's preferences. In some cases, it's a minor annoyance (having to apply .cshrc type stuff to undo system defaults that make things more difficult). In some cases, it can cause things to break (I had a Suse install that set the env var GZIP to provide default configuration parameters, which broke a shell script I had that had a variable called GZIP).

        My tla bin has the following aliases:

                      add-id : (alias for add)
                   delete-id : (alias for delete)
                     move-id : (alias for move)
                  default-id : (alias for explicit-default)
                     mkpatch : (alias for changeset)
                     dopatch : (alias for apply-changeset)

I've never needed to use any of these aliases, and I don't see that I ever will, but they're a customization that's provided to me that I am unable to undo. I'm at least able to recognize them as aliases for the purposes of generating my completion rules, but why do I need this customization?

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>