Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File-tpye plug-in architecture for Arch?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:44:42 -0800

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Tupshin Harper <address@hidden>

> DTDs can't handle this level of specifity, but XSDs can. <soapbox>dtds > suck...should be deprecated in all applications...down with dtds</soapbox>

So, formally, are XSDs turing complete?

-t

Absolutely not, unfortunately. I would certainly prefer a validation language that was. I'm not trying to make any grand claims that XSDs could be proven to validate to arbitrary domain specificity any conceivable format restriction. In fact, the opposite claim is fairly easy to prove. All I'm saying is that, for practical purposes, XSDs are powerful enough to restrict a reasonable domain problem (like office document representation) such that any conforming XML file that is not handled by the application can reasonably be considered a bug in either the application or in the XSD. This should be considered particularly true since the OO xml format is destined to be a cross-application interoperability format.

-Tupshin