Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Directory rename with names tagging

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Directory rename with names tagging
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:31:20 -0500

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:05:52PM +0100, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 02:39:05PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> >
> > Sure arch supports directory renames. The thing that you are unhappy
> > with is instead that tla supports directory renames by performing a
> > delete/add pair for each file that was moved across directories.
>
> Seen in that light CVS supports directory renames too ;-)

What I meant but didn't say was that arch supports it fully when using
explicit and taglines (and of course implicit which is a combination of
the two). Its when you get into names based that you start to have a
problem.

> > I didn't look into the code to answer this, but you'd probably have to
> > spend a bit of time in order to implement this change. One of the things
> > that would be required is setting up .arch-ids for each directory. Those
> > would naturally follow along when you mv'ed the directory. You could
> > then teach arch to look for those .arch-ids when it scans directories
> > under names-based mode.
>
> It seems to me arch should allow me to tell it explicitly that for a specific
> dir-rename all the files should NOT be re-added, but instead whatever
> mechanism

Arch does, and gives you two ways to do it:

1. You can use explicit tagging.
2. You can use taglines.

> is currently used in explicit mode should be invoked.
>
> What I will probably do is start from scratch in explicit mode, even though I
> not having to tell arch about each file was one of the things I really liked.

So hack up the names based method to support .arch-ids for just directories. :)

However, that would only work when moving directories. If you move a file
between directories, then they would still be an add/remove pair. Why that
is necessary should be obvious.

Good luck and happy holidays!

James

--
James Blackwell        Using I.T. to bring more                570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix        business to your business        http://inframix.com