Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration
Date: 06 Feb 2004 10:28:36 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I wish we I could do
> >> tla get http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0
>
> > This functionality already exists. Anybody has the option of defining a
> > grab file of the format:
>
> Well, the whole point of my request is that it should be easy to make it
> work without adding any extra special file somewhere.  I know I can easily
> get the same result using grab or build-config or aba or even a home-grown
> script, but the question "why can't I do it more simply" ?
>
> Are there technical or philosophical reasons why it's considered
> a bad thing?

Well, I do have a philosophical objection.  It's not a strong one, but
here it is: tla is a C program, which makes it very performant for some
kinds of operations.  But it's not a particularly fast language to write
in.

I'm a fan of mixed language development, and I don't see any reason why
get-from-url should be written in C, when it could be written more
easily in a scripting language.  It makes sense to me to write the inner
layers in C, and write the outer layers in something else.  (Though I'd
prefer if it wasn't shell scripting.)  I think that's a better use of
people's time.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley