Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:57:56 +1100

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 09:12, Brian May wrote:

>     Miles> To be honest I'm not sure; it does appear to be a basically
>     Miles> unambiguous and really fairly easy to implement.  There's
>     Miles> no need to worry about the archive's actual structure, just
>     Miles> the path to its root (the actual archive grovelling is
>     Miles> completely through existing tla commands).
>
> What would you do if the archive was already registered at another
> location, eg. perhaps a mirror for instance.

Use it. The user has decided where they want that archive to be found.
If you want to be nice, emit 'Using existing registration for archive
FOO at BAR'.

I posted an algorithm for this concept earlier in the thread that takes
that into consideration. In fact, aba make-local-mirror uses a very
similar algorithm to magically create a local mirror from a url or
archive name.

Rob