Re: [Gnu-arch-users] corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:11:04 -0500

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 06:54:05PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Otherwise what kind of user-error can it come from (assumming I have not
> touched anything manually in my library)?

Two things come to mind --

 (1) You're using hard-linked project trees (made with `tla get --link' or
     `tla changes --link'), and modified a file in the project tree directly
     instead of snapping the link.  If you use just emacs and patch to do
     your file mods, you should be safe though (I very occasionally forget
     myself and use `ed' to edit a file -- and then later pay the price!).

 (2) Your library is on NFS, or some other type of filesystem where device
     numbers are not reliable.  I guess this is not really a user error,
     more of a bug in tla (this is the reason I want to get rid of device
     numbers in inode signatures).

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen