[Gnu-arch-users] Re: corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)
Date: 16 Feb 2004 08:10:30 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> > Re: rebuilding - I suggest you make a local mirror of the project you
> > are following.
>
> There indeed is a lot of "redundant" features in Arch.
> I wish I didn't have to choose and setup those different alternatives.

They serve different purposes.

> In this particular case, what I want is a "cache" that might keep a bunch
> of full versions (either in "library" form or in "cacherev" form) but also
> that would greedily store any patch that I had to download from
> a remote location.  I.e. a mix of mirror and library that would
> automatically and transparently mirror any remote archive I use.

Which `mixture' is appropriate depends a lot on your specific usage
patterns and how good the communication between is between you and the
remote archive.

It could simply keep a full mirror/revlib for _everything_ you access
remotely, but obviously for many projects (e.g. emacs) that would
require a much bigger dedication of disk space, and also introduces the
question: when does it make the mirror?  If it's in response to an
attempt to access a particular bit of information, that could slow down
the request dramatically -- and you might never actually follow through
and _use_ the mirrored information.

IOW, it's not an easy thing to do transparently and automatically.

Automatic mirroring which the user could configure (ala `tla
library-configure') to do some straightforward mirroring in certain
circumstances seems a lot more tractable.

One feature that I think would be very useful would be the concept of an
`automatic write-through mirror' -- where it would try to optimize
read-only access through a mirror (making sure the mirror was
up-to-date), but still allow commit access to the remote archive.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.