Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: William Dode <address@hidden>

    > Chris Hane <address@hidden> writes:

    > > This is what Windows Explorer tells me are not valid characters in a
    > > file name (Windows XP)

    > > \  /  :  *  ?  "  <  >  |

    > what about # ? it's used in css for ID

Shell comment screw.  E.g.:

        % tla revisions -s tla--devo#help-messages--1.3

would mean, to some shells:

        % tla revisions -s tla--devo

So, ick.

People who have followed me on this list as I piss and moan about
shells that take over new meta-characters (I'm not looking at any but
the initials Z. S. H. come to mind as a suitable example) may be
starting to realize why I object to shells taking over characters that
would otherwise be just swell to use in filenames.