Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:23:08 -0400

Chris Hane <address@hidden> writes:
>> This is what Windows Explorer tells me are not valid characters in a
>> file name (Windows XP)
>>
>> \  /  :  *  ?  "  <  >  |

William Dode:
> what about # ? it's used in css for ID

Sure, # doesn't seem like a bad one. Its a valid filesystem character in
*nix, but one has to escape it in order to use it. That makes it
unpopular for users to use with branch names.

However, using # probably isn't such a hot idea. '#' is a space filled
character (which is a term I just made up meaning "It doesn't lend
itself towards seperating words"

Here's how # looks in comparison to some other characters, (some of which
have their own problems).

tla--devo#fixtmp--1.3
address@hidden
tla--devo~fixtmp--1.3
tla--devo.fixtmp--1.3
tla--devo^fixtmp--1.3
tla--devo_fixtmp--1.3
tla--devo[fixtmp]--1.3  (This one is actually my favorite)