Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

This sounds like a change that should (if it is good) eventually
impact lots of code.  In other words: it introduces new idioms at some
levels in tla.  People writing future code should be aware of when and
how to use your new APIs or more aware of how old APIs are effected by
this change.  It might impact with other changes that are planned.

It was for reasons such as those that I first raised a discussion
about what the right abstraction is for a general cache.   I'm not
convinced a good design can be converged on in increments without a
clear idea of what the ultimate target is.

It also sounds like a change that impacts, in an unusually significant
way, the per-user "state" maintained by tla.  Here is a whole new
thing besides ~/.arch-params, wds, and revlibs.  This, in particular,
means that the change (if applied to mainline) can raise lots of
future compatability issues.

Your description sounds nice, but it lacks any help at all for someone
wanting to review your new APIs, proposed new internal programming
conventions, and impact on per-user state.

I could look at the code and try to guess that information --- but my
guess will be based on what you did rather than what you intended to
do.   Even if those two are compatible, getting from code to intent
can be tricky and even impossible.   For example, it would be
difficult to distinguish some part of your code that is "provisional"
from what that is intended to faithfully implement the concept.

Would you be willing to write a more complete presentation, please?
Or if you already have one, post *that* with your announcement?

-t