Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {archives} vs archives

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {archives} vs archives
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:31:38 +1000

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 10:45, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Miles Bader wrote:
>
> > Note that while { and } are a good thing in the case of {arch} in project
> > trees -- because {arch} is a fixed name, they guard against namespace
> > collisions with the source-tree directories -- they're just annoying noise
> > in
> > most other places;
>
> Worse yet, they're forbidden characters in URL:
> http://example.com/{archive} is not a valid url, it's
> http://example.com/%7barchive%7d, but if you register that, tla won't be
> able to use it-- tla requires invalid URLs.

OK, it appears that for linking inside ~/public_html I _cannot_ use { and }.

So, for the purposes of consistency, I've decided to use "archives" for both
my archives directory, as well as any symlinks to it.

That way, if/when other developers browse my public_html, they will see
"archives" and this will remind them to look in ~/archives, etc.

BTW, can anyone remember where that prioritized table of design
tradeoffs is located - I remember reading it a few years back,
something like:
 - correctness
 - consistency
 - conciseness
 - modularity
 - maintainability
 - legibility

I can't remember the exact list, or their order, but the above
gives the general idea. It is something I shall link to my home
page should I ever find it again.

cheers
zen