Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions (was: bitkeeper vs tla)

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions (was: bitkeeper vs tla)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:10:39 +0200

On Friday 24 September 2004 20.43, John Meinel wrote:

> What about this. Tla keeps the meta information about file
> permissions separate from the files themselves. (I think right
> now the way it checks if permissions have changed is to do a stat
> on the revlib and the tree, and then see what the permission bits
> are).

It also traverses my mind from time to time. Instead of
systematically checking and recording permission changes, I
sometimes wonder whether Arch could provide a command that
explicitly records permissions from or applies permissions to a
tree.

In fact, a completely independent command could handle this, Arch
would then treat the file that keeps track of the permissions (say
a mapping of inventory ids to permissions) just like any other
source file.

Robin