Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:46:28 +0100

Hi,

David Allouche <address@hidden> writes:

> Practically, I do not think that is an issue. The "tag" and "import"
> commands already have a "-S" option to do archive-setup transparently,
> and in my experience that turned to be an "unbreak me" option, that is
> an option you need to type for tla to do the right thing. Such options
> quickly become part of the muscle memory and loose their value as a
> finger guard.

I don't understand it this way.  Instead, I believe the point was to
build primitive commands that would never try to hide the underlying
mechanisms.  This principle leads to flexibility, and furthermore, it
allows the internals to be easily and quickly understandable as one
simply /uses/ Arch.

If you make `-S' the default for `tag', then part of the mechanisms
(i.e., tagging itself) becomes hidden (unless an opposite option is
provided, which does not seem to be the case in `baz branch').  Note
that I rarely use `tag' without `-S' myself, but I don't find it
annoying --- I find it reassuring in fact.  ;-)

> The "can't rename or remove something once it's in the archive" is a bug
> in the Arch model, as long as it's there, it will cause ugliness in the
> user interface.

Well, by definition, an archive is "write once read many".

Thanks,
Ludovic.