Re: [GNU-linux-libre] more http://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=NONFSDG stu

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] more http://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=NONFSDG stuff
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:56:23 -0400

You all know better than I do how to make the NONFSDG list most useful
for your all's work, so I'm happy to see you mutate it however seems
best for you.  I just want to chime in with one particular
consideration:

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 12:06 +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> firefox-3.0
>       same reason(s) as firefox. could share the heading?
> kubuntu-meta, ubuntu-meta, ubuntu-artwork, and equivilant metapackages.
>       do we care? we probably just want a section 'metapackages' or
> something and dump all of debian/ubuntu/other metapackages in there if
> we do.

I'm concerned that if we separately list individual-but-related
packages, the list could quickly get *too* comprehensive, and make it
more difficult for people to find useful information when they're not
searching for something very specific.  (But maybe that's an unimportant
use case?  You tell me.)

Maybe it would be most useful to add something like an optional "Related
package names" field to the infobox we're already using?  And this could
intentionally be a little vague/flexible, so that it could be useful for
all these cases: variant package names for specific versions or distros
(like firefox-3.0), one entry for all the troublesome metapackages, one
entry for both bnetd and pvpgn, etc.

Just a suggestion, though; feel free to ignore it if something else
works better.

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf