Re: GNU licenses

From: mike4ty4
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: 5 Sep 2006 11:55:42 -0700

John Hasler wrote:
> mike4ty4 writes:
> > You may use the GPLed code in your programs if you agree to make the
> > entire original program GPL as well (ie. "pay for the code" with your
> > original creation), no matter how small the code fragment you use is (at
> > least to the minimum amount that copyright can apply to of
> > course). Otherwise, don't do it.
>
> > Am I right?
>
> No.  You must make the entire _derivative_ (that is, the work consisting of
> the combination of your work and the GPL work) GPL.  You may do as you
> wish with your "entire original program".  And you retain all rights.

That's what I mean. You can't distribute the original program w/o the
GPLed code vs the combined program w/the GPLed code together _in
any way_ singificantly different from GPL because you've already
released nearly all it's source and functionality under GPL in
distributing
the combo! (notice how I'm assuming a very _small_ amount of GPL
code is being used in the hypothetical scenario, like, say, 25 lines in
250,000 line program. That's when it really seems to get absurd.) You
either have to do one or the other, practically. If I've started
distributing
and then later go over and remove the GPL code and make it 100%
original, then it's too late -- the remaining source has already been
divulged _and GPLed_ so the vast majority of the program is now laid
bare AND GPL so it may "infect" others' projects if they want to rip
from it.

Is it possible though, to pull the GPLed program combo from
distribution,
destroy all copies, then remove the GPL code, create a version with
zero unoriginal code that is distributed under non-GPL  license? If
not,
then the project has essentially been "cursed" by those 25 lines of
GPL code! Only a full rewrite could save it now. UGH! GPL SPOILS
PROJECTS!