Re: gpl licensing

From: rjack
Subject: Re: gpl licensing
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:26:48 -0500

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
You must be confusing this group with some other group. Free software isn't a economic model. The GPL is a copyright license, that protects users freedom to run, study, improve and distribute software, and has nothing to do with Communism/Capitalism, free software and any kind of freedom can happily coexist with both those models, which ever you wish to prefer.

Free software isn't a economic model. . . and has nothing to do with Communism/Capitalism, free software and any kind of freedom can happily coexist with both those models, which ever you wish to prefer.

"I'm the general counsel of the Free Software Foundation, and I'm trying
to report on the revolution which is destroying intellectual property.
Of which I am entirely in favour."
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/texts/eben-moglen-dmca-and-you.html

How the hell do you get "can happily coexist" and "destroying
intellectual property" to logically fit together?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. . .

It's an economic model that hopes to destroy capitalistic notions of
intellectual property.