Possible bug: Codae, bar lines. Apology: Jazz Chords

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Possible bug: Codae, bar lines. Apology: Jazz Chords
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:08:35 +0200

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I have a bone to pick with the \mark algorithm. Recently I arranged a
couple pieces that made frequent use of the segno and coda signs. Typically,
such a thing looks like this:

                              segno
musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicicmusic

musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicicmusic

                                                       coda
musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicicmusic

                                                              segno
musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusic||

coda
musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicicmusic

musicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicmusicicmus|.

However, it does not seem possible with the \mark command to put two marks on
what effectively is one barline, one before and one after the linebreak. I've
been using the syntax:

<TONES>
\property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'visibility-lambda =
#begin-of-line-invisible { \mark #'(music "scripts-segno") }
\bar "||" \break \mark #'(music "scripts-coda")
<TONES>

In this case, the coda sign gets ignored, lily even spits out a warning,
although it shouldn't be, because it's the legitimate place for it. I'm running
1.4.3.

BTW (this is definitely not a must), could we have ยง-style segnos and square
coda signs too? For one more level of repetition (I'm a lazy writer)?

But one more really annoying thing concerning bar lines: Could it be made
possible that the syntax:

<TONES> \bar "||" \break
\repeat "volta" 2 { <TONES> }

yields:

musicmusicmusic||
|:musicmusicmusic:|

At the moment, the double bar line at the end of the first staff gets ignored.

I've not been working very much on the jazz chord algorithm lately because I was
busy. It will happen sometime...

Amy