Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:31:34 +0200

On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 08:17 pm, <address@hidden> wrote:

Since shortly after the 3.1.31 release, we've had a precipitous
rating slide on NNGS. I did some testing to see if 3.1.31 showed
signs of being broke.

I've been playing 3.1.31 against 3.1.32 and have collected 116 games with
3.1.32 as white, and 145 games with 3.1.32 as black.

If 3.1.31 is broken, couldn't 3.1.32 be just as broken?

And in general, is playing against older versions of GNU Go a good test? While testing Goban, I've been looking at a few games between different versions of GNU Go, and they seemed strange to me (but I'm a weak player). It would be nice to have other comparisons, like the game series against Handtalk. I don't have easy access to a Windows PC outside of work, but I'm thinking about investing in SoftPC for my Mac just to match GNU Go against Smart Go or Many Faces or Go Professional.

marco