Re: [gnugo-devel] Interface ?

From: sugi
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Interface ?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:52:27 +0700

A fair amount of debug information can be showed on a graphical board
by view.pike (in the regression directory) but not while playing. The
emacs interface (interface/gnugo.el) gives less information but can do
that while playing. Then there are a number of GUIs for playing but
without debug support.
Is there any information on how to implement this 'debug support'?
Can it be done via GTP ?
Where can i find more information, more specific requirements, etc?

I have written a rather basic Java GUI (in SWING) last year that I wouldn't mind releasing as GPL-ed software. The problem was, everyone and their brother had a GUI already, so it was shelved because i didn't feel it would be useful to anyone. Now if there's a specific need for a GUI that have 'debug support', I'm sure it would be possible to retrofit the thing for this purpose.

The code is still very 'small' at this point, less than 64K of java source code altogether (without the bitmaps). Some things that were already implemented :
- Customizable board sizes (square only, unfortunately)
- Customizable board and stones bitmap (the default sucks, somewhat :))
- GTP support
- 1 Player mode (human vs GNU go)
- Referee mode (playing two instances of GNU Go against each other, shown in the attached screenshot).

Anyway, the original intent was to provide a 'Learn Go' mode, where a new player can practice against GNU Go in handicap games. Considering that GNU Go is consistently rated around 10k-13k on KGS, it could keep a new player busy for months :D.

Regards,
sugi.

PNG image