words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferred /p

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferred /proc/<pid>/xxx style?)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 22:09:57 +0100

Hi Branden!

On 12/9/22 22:03, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi Alex & Mike,

Alex, you beat me to this one...

At 2022-12-09T20:43:21+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
personally i find that jarring to read because it's using italics
for the whole path except for the pid which has no styling at all.

I submit that it is more jarring to have to have a file specification
with mixed literal and variable components, such as

/var/log/epidemic/pid/port

and have it all marked up in the same typeface without a visual clue as
to which part is nonliteral.  (Observe the ambiguity.)  Yes, "the
experienced user will usually know [which part to replace]".[1]  To rely
on that principle in documentation is a deriliction of duty.

Your emails are the reason I know and often use dict(1).  Lol.

$ dict deriliction
No definitions found for "deriliction", perhaps you mean:
gcide:  Dereliction
wn:  dereliction
moby-thesaurus:  dereliction

And yes, dereliction has a definition compatible with your use.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>