Re: Srfi-159/166 - monadic formatting for guile

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Srfi-159/166 - monadic formatting for guile
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 02:35:24 -0400

Hi Linus,

Linus Björnstam <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not sure I understand what you mean, but i suspect it is already
> solved, since for simple cases show will use display/write. So unless
> you try to do advanced formatting of circular lists it will do
> whatever display or write does. The same thing goes for custom
> printers.

How do you implement 'written-shared', 'pretty-shared', and
'trimmed/lazy'?  In particular, how do you avoid non-termination when
asked to print cyclic data, when the cycle includes a non-standard data
type printed using a custom printer?  For example, what if you print a
list that includes an object whose custom printer will print output that
includes the same list that you started with?

     Regards,
       Mark