guix-devel

Localization of language names

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Localization of language names
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:44:48 +0200

Hi,

Brendan Tildesley <mail@brendan.scot> skribis:

> Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English,
> Rarely in the native language.

We take language names and their translations from the ‘iso-codes’
package, specifically the “iso_639-3” message catalog.  Quoth
(gnu installer newt locale):

    (lambda (language)
      (let ((english (language-code->language-name iso639-languages
                                                   language)))
        (setenv "LANGUAGE" language)
        (let ((native (gettext english "iso_639-3")))
          (unsetenv "LANGUAGE")
          native)))

I think this is the most exhaustive translation out there and what
everybody uses AIUI.

Do you see better translations in, say, the Debian or Ubuntu installers?

If so, that could indicate we’re doing something wrong, such as using
the wrong message catalog.

Thanks,
Ludo’.