guix-devel

Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:27:56 +0200

Hi,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> skribis:

> Well, I've created a basic guix package management video.  It's about 7
> minutes long.  You'll notice I made it a little goofy.  Essentially
> building the XDG mime database takes a while.  So I just read from
> Stallman's essays during the downtime.
>
> If someone wants to show me how to install packages without having to
> wait so long for the xdg mime database to build, please let me know, and
> I'll re-make the video.
>
> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/c0dfb36a-a84b-4363-8b1b-17aeadd4aaaf

Thanks!  I think 7 minutes is too long; IMO we should aim for ~1mn–1.5mn
at most as is currently the case.  Also full screen, large enough fonts,
no “guix pull” warnings, ‘--max-jobs=1’ on the daemon side to reduce
verbosity.  Slick and to-the-point!  :-)

Thinking about it, there are probably tools to replay commands in a
terminal such that we could automate all this, no?

Ludo’.