guix-devel

Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 23:18:10 +0100

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:

> Your weather summary is a great idea, thanks! As I said in my previous
> email, the armhf substitutes are not built right now on the CI. It's
> really sad but we have to make an impossible choice between:
>
> * Trying to build everything on all architecture and have the CI that is
>   awfully lagging behind.
>
> * Restrict the number of architecture we want to provide substitutes
>   for.

You seem to imply that the issue is the number of architectures, rather
than the small number of ARMv7 build machines (now that we disabled
32-bit builds on AArch64).  Do I get it right?

That was a problem with Cuirass doing ‘build-derivations’ RPCs for
derivations spanning multiple architectures (the RPC would complete once
the slowest architecture is done), but maybe that’s no longer the case
with the new remote builds feature you’ve been working on?

Ludo’.